This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on the link and make a purchase, Grizzled Nomad will receive a small commission.
- So my first suggestion whenever going or thinking about going to a new country is to look up the population type in the country. For instance, if you’re going to a Muslim country, think about going to historic sites. Such as, a masc or were a previous sultans home was. Try to understand how that place and people went from being atheists or a Christian country to Muslim country such as for example Turkey.
- If you want to get the lay of the land, go on Facebook, join groups that are in your target areas. Say you want to go to Greece, then join a group that is all about Greece. And ask people what they know. Can they recommend any off places here in Greece that you can add to the itinerary. On your next trip that type of activity would make a great history lesson for the kid’s or a checkmark on the old bucket list or something like that.
- An often overlooked but essential element in finding off the places is to use local airlines. These local commuter flights go to the small airports that you’ve never heard of. If you’d like to go somewhere like Cyprus you can hop on a regional flight via Greece and head down and see the fiercely independent island that has just as strong a history as Greece.
- In this modern day and age, the thought that going on a tour group that’s been packaged to see things that are off the beaten path is not on the top of the list. Because most people think tour groups are mostly about going out on set schedules during which you spend so much money on a location and going home. But people are becoming more creative and tor group companies are starting to put together next level trips. There are all over the world, places like in Hollywood , where you can take a trip now to see famous graves or where someone passed away or those b grade actors who were famous in Hollywood.
- Another interesting way to reach out and find all the places is the most obvious which is Google.If you want to get a refined search like for offbeat travel, quotation the words that you are targeting. That way Google will only search those
- And here’s a non-shocker, that has people may not think of, you can go to Amazon and buy an e-book or a physical book and research at the old-fashioned way by reading.
- Then the next one leading in would be a library. You’d be surprised at all the guidebooks that are in the library’s, such as in downtown Seattle. The main public library has hundreds of hundreds if not thousands of books just about travel and any destination you can think of is there and they have e-books to download onto your tablet for your phone and visited right there. And that leads to our next one which is apps.
- Whether you have android or Apple, you can find pretty much any type of content in the App Store or the Apple Store now. Even me, for instance, my old website had its own app just for travelers. If you want to find these travel locations you could go on Travelocity, on their app and find a treasure trove of locations that are stared and rated based on the uniqueness
- Or and this is an oldy but goodie, Just a call a travel agent, crack open that old-fashioned phonebook and talk to a real live person. There are not many travel agents left visibly in brick-and-mortar locations . So you can go online and call them and ask. Nine times out of 10 if their halfway decent travel agent, they will give you for free tidbits because they understand that if you find something on your next trip they recommended, then you will tell your friends for the next time that they go on a trip to book with them.
- And then last but not least, the next time you go somewhere Rentacar, a truck or whatever and go to your local hangout where the locals eat and ask, say you know many off the wall of places that I can see that will make my trip more interesting. I bet you a dollar you’ll get that somebodies whose itching to speak up and say hey I know about the such and such place, it used to be a military base or whatever and there you go you have your day planned or your week.
So just remember the next time you get ready to go on a trip, don’t just get to the same trodden travel itineraries that everyone does.You’ll be missing all of the excitement that you would’ve never thought about otherwise. And please remember to like and share our latest post so that we can continue to bring you great and entertaining content.
And as always, remember to be safe and have fun and until next time enjoys your travels.
Photo by iainmerchant