This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on the link and make a purchase, Grizzled Nomad will receive a small commission.
When we as westerners go to the buffet or even think about going, we think, sit, go in line, and eat. Well, I’m here to tell you that Thai buffets are not the same and we explored that in my post on 10 Helpful Tips For Thai Buffets. But today I am just going to show you in pictures and video so that when you come to the land of smiles you will not be going, what in the hell is this?
So here we go:
- There are a few different types of Thai buffets
- Using the bbq style, which is not in most places a grill in a western way but little cookers with charcoal or propane. and the other style is a boiling pot or hot pot.
- Or as in this place, we had a hot plate with a pan and butter and a pot to boil stuff.
- Luckily we got this buffet that was electric because when you use the charcoal one use gets the smoke in your face and drives me nuts
- Also, the prices are different depending on where you go.We paid 159 baht each for the buffet and then they charged 20 for ice and 20 for water. To me, that was a rip-off but whatever, nickel and dime people.
- Keep in my that Thai version of sanitary is very different from Western, meaning the platters and trays are awash in blood, the food is raw, you cook it.
- Don’t let the waiter over charge you, keep your guard up here for no other reason then some not all will try to slip in extra charges if you can’t read the bill.
- The server people only bother you when you need dishes cleared away so don’t really think that you will get 5-star service
- In Asia and in Thailand the concept of tipping is not done, so really sometimes Thai view this as rude.So you do not have to tip if you must just compliment the cook at a restaurant.
- You can go to the 19 baht buffet, where you pay for each plate as well but I view that as a ripe off
So really that’s all you need to know to get started on you culinary adventure, also ask the locals where they eat buffet, it will be cheaper and more of a Thai type buffet. And always as I say have fun, be safe and explore your world.
Photo by paularps