This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on the link and make a purchase, Grizzled Nomad will receive a small commission.

Begin to plan

chiang mai photo

Making the decision to living in Thailand can be a daunting one. Finding or keeping a job here, housing the schools for the kids. I will try to give you a step by step guide to making the transition from overseas to a permanent or semi-permanent base here. I will break down the visas, Remember, housing and other things needed to get starRemember if you work here get a work permit Before you come. So let’s break it down.

Before you come to the land of smiles get a visa suited to your needs.

immigration photo

Visa types:

Tourist Visa

This is a 60-day Tourist Visa in Thailand that can either be a multiple or single entry and can be extended for another 30 days,g o to your local Immigration office in Thailand.

Non-Immigrant Visa

F, B, IM, IB, ED, M, R, RS, EX, and O

Single entry visa to Thailand valid for 90 days. This can be turned into a one year at the immigration office.

One Year Non-Immigrant Visa

Multiple Entry Visa in Thailand valid for 1 year. Stay 90 days per Border entry, every 90 days you have to do a border run.

Marriage Visa and

Get married, Then head to the local government offices,g et a marriage license, then head to immigration for an application.

Retirement Visa

Age restriction of 50 years old and up.

Business Visa

Special visa type for Business only. Allows a work permit.

Permanent Resident Visa

To qualify, you need to be here 3 years with a 1-year nonimmigrant visa type.

Alright, we got that out of the way, now housing.

I live in Chiang Mai,s o I will use that as my example here. There are many options for long-stay housing.

Immigration Website:

Chiang Mai Imm

immigration photo

Photo by hyku


If you are able getting condo to buy is your best option. You can get a cheap condo on the outer ring as the outer section here in most cities is called for 12,000 USD . or you can rent a condo for as little as 100 USD  a month here, fully furnished. And then if you are married to a Thai National you can buy a cheap, low-cost home in THEIR name.Sadly, Thailand is crazy strict about foreigner land ownership, basically, it’s not happening. Condo ownership is as good as it gets.So here’s a little list of companies to use to find housing before come, remember plan ahead and you will be set.

Housing websites:

Chiang Mai Properties

dd property

Jasmine Homes

And really if you have these 2 big things checked off your list then you are off to a good start. Here is a good site to get help with anything from opening a bank account to getting a condo.

So until next time be safe and have fun reading this.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

CommentLuv badge