This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on the link and make a purchase, Grizzled Nomad will receive a small commission.
The cost game
Many people that come to Thailand come in thinking, I can do this cheap because everyone says so and then proceed to blow every dime in a week. Stop it is very easy to live here for 500 dollars a month or I have done it on 3oo before just to see if it can be done, it can. The trick to all this is saving money and self-control. This will be a guide and a kind of step by step of living in Thailand on a budget.
500 Dollar Budget
- Get a budget app
- Convert all your money at the first of the month and get a local account at the bank. saves fees.
- Get a Condo or house away from the city centers
- Shop at the local farmer’s markets
- Wash your own clothes, laundry mat all over
- Get a bike, petrol is cheap here
I will give a breakdown of my budget for last month.
- Rent 3,500 Baht
- Food 3,000 Baht per person, 2 people
- Electric / water 2,800 Baht
- Entertainment 2,000 Baht
- Visa Fee 1,900 Baht
- Cell phone /Internet 500 Baht
- Wash Clothes 200 Baht
Total: 16,900 Baht or 502 USD
Also please check out Why More Americans are retiring in Thailand!
As you can see it is possible to enjoy Thailand for months or even years on a fixed budget. Keep in mind, if you have health issues, your budget will increase, don’t hit the bar every night.
So until next time enjoy Thailand and have fun and please read this new post.
Photo by Got Credit